Sunday 4 March 2012

Restful Days...

Sometimes you just need a rest day, and I can think of no better way of relaxing than spending the last day of the working week restoring a violin! Here's a few pictures of the violin as I started to take it apart. As you can see it is quite scratched, so what I'm planning to do is take it right back to the natural wood finish and use a mat laquer to protect it when I'm finished. I may even take one of the side sections out completely (because there's a bit of damage on one side) and put in a pickup then replace the wooden section with an etched brass or copper plate on a hinge so I can have the pickup running off a 9v battery :D
That's for later though. Right now I'm concentrating on getting the varnish off and smoothing out any bumps and scrapes.

I found this violin by a chance enquiry at the local music store where I buy new strings and generally just hang out when I have nothing better to do (not that I've had much free time lately with the dissertation looming...).
I got it free because it had been sitting in the back storage space for so long and isn't anything 'special'. In my eyes, it is very special because it's what inspired my third year work!!

It has been sitting in a corner in my room for too long and last Friday I decided it was time to have a day to myself working on something which isn't all about the final grade. This job lets me think about my work; why I do what I do, why I work to music and why I'm here!!!
I got in for about 9am and the workshop was so quiet, I found myself spending a good four hours sanding away thinking about what I'm going to make for my final project. There's something wonderful in a realatively simple, repetative task which lets your mind wonder and I ended up having a few break-throughs for my next design.

I haven't finished the violin yet, but it's a work in progress and I'm spending the time and effort in making it as good as can be because it's an object that represents the heart of my work and I guess my life as well. After all everything I've ever done has revolved around music in some way and it's about time I start paying attention to all aspects of my creativity lest I forget what I am all about!

The next time you feel drained and can't think straight, have a day to yourself. Do something that makes you happy and nine times out of ten you'll feel better and probably have a break-through whether it's to do with your personal life or your work!
That's all for now,
M

P.S. It's day four of learning the flute, and I've just about learned how to play all of the notes on two octaves. Though I'm going to admit that sometimes I accidentally shift to the lower octave...I need a bit more practice, but hopefully soon I'll be learning some tunes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment