Monday 19 March 2012

Long weekends...

Okay, so first I feel I should apologise for the lack of any posts in a while. With the dissertation handed in, I can finally start to work my way towards final designs and final business plan!
The past two weeks have been quite stressful, however I had a wonderful day out in London on Friday 16th March to attend the New Designers Prepare Day.

The day started at 5am for me so that I could pack, shower and collect my tickets from Hereford station. Having never been to London, I was a bit nervous about changing at the right station...Worcester Forgate, or Worcester Shrub Hill...? Luckily the train only stopped at one, so after that it was a straight journey to Paddington Station.

On the two hour journey I managed to write a bit about some of the issues/stories that I could hear around me, from the 'Kindle' to 'The difference between Value and Worth'...I love writing about things when I'm travelling.

I got into Paddington for 11am and made my way to the Tube Station, and I can honestly say that it was my idea of Hell to begin with. There were people rushing around everywhere, there were queues for the cash machine and the ticket machine and then I had to figure out which kind of ticket to get...
Luckily for me one of the other students from Hereford College of Art was attending the Prepare Day and so I phoned her and she came to meet me, then from there it was a quick trip to Angel Station and a five minute walk from there to the Business Design Centre.

My first impression was that it was almost like a shopping mall, and the (Victorian?) design of the building was absolutely beautiful!



After taking a seat near the front there was about two hours of talks about the show, what needs to be presented and how, then a break with the chance to talk to some of the speakers, and then another hour and a half about costing and pricing, copyright and marketing.

I have to admit, that at the beginning of the talk I thought I was going to fall asleep (going out on a pub crawl the night before was not exactly the best thing to do, even if I only had a pint...my excuse is that I got a free t-shirt, so obviously had to go!!!), however I kept taking notes and found the entire talk to be really informative, well presented and although a few of the speakers ran over time, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

I think I will be getting the blacksmiths together for a meeting so I can present the information I have and just generally explain what the place is like, what to expect in relation to the stand etc.

I do feel a little guilty for taking the entire day off, however I think it was a good use of my time and I can always make up the time over the next week.

As for today...I am in bed. I think I may have picked up a cold from London so have spent the entire weekend in bed and right now it hurts to move and swallow...However, I am not giving up on the day!!! After I finish blogging, I think I may try and go into college or a least do some sketchbook work and try to get a final design!!

I will leave you with some photographs from London,
Thanks.





No comments:

Post a Comment